Sunday, June 28, 2009

This week

Photobucket

This week at work I held my first graduation for our SCORE group... Skid row Co-Occurring Recovery and Empowerment Program. I am proud to say we had 13 graduates from all those who started. In order to graduate one had to attend nine months of a three day a week support group and complete each exercise. I am so proud! Not only do these individuals live in skid row, deal with severe mental illness, and battle homeless; they saw to it that three days out of the week they spent two hours in group. This is a big deal!!!

Photobucket
I learned a lot from this group and have a tremendous amount of respect for them. Much of our conversation was about how to deal with symptoms related to mental illness in a healthy way and how to develop a support system to rely on when past trauma's surface. Where once a hand reached for pills, a pipe, or a bottle, these individuals learned to rely on the support of each other to get through it. I struggle weekly through relapses however this group gave me hope that much is possible when the mind has assured itself of change!

Photobucket
There were tears, helping hands, and proud speeches! It went off just as planned I hope that the group released how proud I am of all their hard work and dedication to improving their lives!

I also made this hat...
Photobucket
one of my proudest yet! Photographing a beauty in this hat will come this week. Stand by for pictures!

Now I sit in my moms house where I came to take shelter with the air conditioner. She goes into surgery tomorrow for a hysterectomy. She will be fine, as there is no other option and I will be there waiting to take her home!
Have a good week!

3 comments:

lisajem said...

it really was a great day!!! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL HAT!! loving it! you have so much tallent in so many ways...you really are gifted!

Anonymous said...

I am such a proud mom of this beautiful daughter who gives so much of herself to help her clients. She is gifted in mind and spirit. love you Bec

Anonymous said...

You are so wonderful Bec. "I'm proud and in awe of all you do" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this. Wow!
Oh, and that hat is beautiful too!