Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bitter Sweet Candy and the glamour shot project

Every once once and a while I get to work with someone who gives me purpose and sort of reminds me why I started the Chubby Pigeon project. I had the pleasure of working with 'Bitter Sweet Candy' this week and the first reason I wanted to work with her was in our phone conversations she said 'well what if I show up and you think I am too fat and don't want to shoot me?'; immediately I scheduled her. Sometimes I like to think of myself as a fat glamour shots. You remember Glamour Shots- that store located in America's malls that would to sex up housewives in the 80's to give their husbands a picture in order to remind them why they were married. Who knows, it's just what I think sometimes. I have gotten several emails from girls, ladies, women-however one is defined- where they begin their email in this way - I may be too fat to photograph for your project but I would like to order a hat.
Wha wha what?

Photobucket

AS uncomfortable as she may have been behind the lights and camera I hope I gave her some pictures of herself that will assist in looking at herself in a new light. She appeared apprehensive, fearful, and was so tight in her body language when I positioned her that I knew she felt out of place. However I feel what I captured was stunning.

Photobucket

She has her own style and flare, and I absolutely adored her face. She didn't smile for any photographs, save the ones I took when she was talking to her boyfriend who was off camera trying to relax her and make her laugh. I was comforted to know she has someone in her life who adores her and treats her well.

Photobucket
I love love this picture because I feel I captured a bold and confident woman who is secure in her thoughts and in who she is.

We sat and chatted after the shoot and I learned many reasons why she doesn't smile much. As an abused child bouncing in and out of foster care and ending up in a violent marriage that was dangerous for her to leave, life has not been just or kind to this person. We discussed her life and I felt honored that she felt comfortable enough to come and work with me.

One of my best shoots yet.